Friday, December 31, 2010

Goodbye 2010

          The beginning of 2010 was full of excitement, stress and sadness. We moved away from all the friends we had made in Louisiana back to Southern California for Josh to start his new job as a Air Force recruiter in Simi Valley. Even though we were about to finally be only less than two hours from family, we were still left with having to find a home in an area we knew nothing about. This was also our first time renting a home off base, so the pressure was on. We accomplished what we needed to, and now live in a cute 3 bedroom smack in the middle of Simi Valley. Josh was then thrown into his new job, and we began our adventure into his four year tour with recruiting.
        

         For the first time in a long time we were able to visit with family on the weekends, and even got to do some family trips. I was finally able to take my kids to Lake Havasu, AZ. A place I personally went to with family all the time during the summer growing up. The kids got to experience the lake, and going on the boat and playing in the hotel pools. I did not know it at the time, but I was about to experience one of the scariest times of my life.


        Claira got slightly sick at the end of the Havasu trip which continued to slowly follow us after going home as well. Early after dealing with Claira having roseola we learned she had not only had staph, but it had gone from her blood into her bones. She was also suffering badly from an abscess that had wrapped itself around her spine, and was pushing up on her spinal canal. Thankfully the abscess was quickly removed after an emergency surgery was done after being sent to UCLA from Northridge Hospital. Longest few months of our life as our baby girl was in and out of UCLA Hospital, with a picc line in her arm where I had to learn to distribute strong antibiotics into it for over two months straight. Baby girl came out strong, and we got to take her home on August 18, her first birthday. What a joyous day that was! We have been more than thankful for the amount of support and prayers we've received from family and friends.



        September began to feel like everything was normal again. Jacob started Pre-K, and he's been doing so well. He really enjoys being in school, and has made some good friends. I love it when he comes home from school and I get to see all the things he has made in class and hearing stories about what they've been doing. He is getting so big, and I am so proud of his accomplishments. I cannot believe he will be in Kindergarten next year. Kind of makes me sad, but excited for him at the same time. Of course that means my middle boy, Mr. Matthew is getting ready for preschool. Every time we pick Jacob up from school he makes it very clear he wants to be there, and even talks to Jake's teacher and friends about his excitement:)

         All in all the kids have had a good year considering they have been able to see family so much which is something we were unable to do while living in Louisiana. Although we certainly have missed our Louisiana friends which I consider family<3

         From the end of October to now it has been jam packed with good times, like Josh and my first recruiting annual, to times of sadness where we've lost some near and dear family members. Losing loved ones is always hard, and nothing can replace them. So I try and often reflect on the good times spent with these loved ones, and remembering the things they have taught me.

         A year full of ups and downs, and many lessons learned along the way. I am thankful for the amazing family we have, and the old and new friends we've spent time with along the way. Here's to 2010 and to all the new memories we will make in 2011.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I still tear up hearing about Miss Claira. But, I'm so glad you're back in Cali! Now I just have to see you.

And can I just add how excited I am about the upcoming celebrations that are Tara's bachelorette and wedding!! Woohoo! Fun times ahead!